DOCUMENTARY AND FEATURE FILM STUDIOS

 

The Documentary and Feature Film Studios (WFDiF) is the largest nationally-owned film producer in Poland and the only such center in which films are produced in their entirety – from screenplay development to the making of cinema copies for distribution .  During the last decade, WFDiF has been awarded the most prestigious prizes at both Polish and international film festivals – from the Grand Prix at Koszalin debuts festival for The Lynching and Shopping Girls, the Golden Lions at Gdynia for Little Rose, dozens of awards for Rose, Karbala and The Eccentrics and finally, to the Special Jury Award at the Sundance Film Festival for The Lure.

WFDiF was founded in 1949, initially as a documentary film production center for National Film Newsreel. Soon after, however, WFDiF became an important feature film production center. In the studios, editing rooms and laboratories of WFDiF movies by Andrzej Wajda, Jerzy Antczak, Krzysztof Zanussi, Krzysztof Kieślowski and Jerzy Hoffman were created.

In recognition of the importance of WFDiF in the Polish audiovisual industry, by order of the Minister of Culture and National Heritage, WFDiF was transformed into a national Institution of Culture in 2013.